Local Area Guide: Things to do / Activities / Attractions
Sun Peaks in Winter:
Location, Location, Location!
Centrally located in the British Columbia Interior and only a 45 minute drive from Kamloops. The first ski resort as you travel east from Vancouver, BC, or Whistler, BC, via Coquihalla Highway 5 or the Fraser Canyon Highway 1. Just over 4 hours from Vancouver, BC, and 5.5 hours from Seattle, WA. Sun Peaks is the closest ski resort in BC’s Interior to the Lower Mainland and Seattle
- Daily direct flights through Kamloops Airport and Kelowna Airport with connections to cities across North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia.
- Airport Shuttle service from Kamloops, Kelowna and Vancouver.
- Resort Shuttles available to and from Big White, Silver Star, and Whistler Blackcomb.
- VIA Rail passengers traveling to and from Vancouver and Jasper will arrive in Kamloops late evening or early morning.
- Air Canada operates seven daily flights to Kamloops and Sun Peaks direct from Vancouver, BC. As well, both Air Canada and Westjet offer direct flights to and from Calgary, AB.
The BC Interior is known throughout the world for its light, dry, ‘easy-to-ski’ powder. Be here on a powder day to discover what the true definition of ‘blower’ means.
- Why is the snow so good? Thanks to our geographic location in the BC Interior, Sun Peaks is protected from the mild, coastal weather caused by the Coast Mountains. Prevailing storms come from the Pacific Ocean and rise and cool as they pass over the Coast Mountains before reaching Sun Peaks.
- Sun Peaks has a reputation for reliable snow conditions that has been proven over 50 years of operations. To view our snow history table, click here.
- Sign up to our 311 E-Newsletter to receive daily snow reports throughout the season.
So Much to Ski and Ride!
- The second largest skiable area in British Columbia and third largest in Canada! 3,678 skiable acres of terrain, 882 metres of vertical, 124 runs, including 12 designated glade areas! Check out our Mountain Statistics if you need further proof.
- Enjoy a variety of terrain: two alpine bowls, cruising green and blue runs, steep and deep, and gladed stashes loaded with powder.
- Ski and ride outside normal chairlift operation hours during the First Tracks Breakfast on Tuesday mornings, or the Fondue Dinner & Evening Descent on Thursday nights.
- Try the Ski Sisters program through the Sun Peaks Sports School. Taught by women, for women, this program is a chance for the ladies in the family to explore the mountains with certified ski instructor and Sun Peaks local Laurie White.
A variety of packages and deals to fit the needs of your family or group are just a click or a phone call away. Try the Ski & Stay Free Package
, with four nights of accommodation and four days of skiing or snowboarding for the price of three!Check out our Vacation Packages
online, or call 1.800.807.3257 to book!
- Sun Peaks’ three mountains circle the village in a unique 360 degree layout, making it extremely convenient to pop back into the village or your accommodation for a break, snack, or to meet up with friends and family.
- The pedestrian village is compact and safe for families. Everything is within a short walking distance, so there’s no need for shuttles.
- The Sundance Kids Centre offers child minding services and a ski school for children 18 months to 5 years of age.
- Family activities – Ice Skating, Snowshoe Marshmallow Roast, and Tube Park.
Services and Amenities
- Over 20 restaurants, pubs and cafés located in the heart of the Sun Peaks Resort village, including the newest additions of Black Garlic Bistro, Cahilty Creek Bar & Grill, and Vertical Café. For more information on resort dining click here
- Boutique shops for clothing, sporting equipment, gourmet chocolates, art, and souvenirs.
- The Bluebird Market grocery store provides most staple products
- There are also two grocery delivery services to meet the needs of your family.
Looking to have a great day out on the slopes, but not sure where to go? Join our friendly Sun Guide Tours
, available daily at 9:15am and 1:00pm.
Ski with Nancy Greene!
Olympic Gold Medalist and Female Athlete of the 20th Century, Nancy Greene calls Sun Peaks home and is available to ski with resort guests most Saturdays and Sundays at 1:00pm.
Sun Peaks in Summer: Location, Location, Location!
- Centrally located in the British Columbia interior and only 45 minutes by car from Kamloops.
- Closest interior resort by road from Vancouver, BC, and Seattle, WA, thanks to the Coquihalla Highway which connects Hope to Kamloops.
- For a scenic drive, try Highway 1 from Hope through the Fraser Canyon to Kamloops.
- Include Sun Peaks on your self-drive tour through British Columbia and the Thompson Okanagan. It’s an easy, convenient stop on most circle tours throughout the province.
- The central location provides a perfect place to stay during your visit to the region—whether exploring Wells Gray Provincial Park, the Adams River Salmon Run, outdoor recreation and tournaments in Kamloops, or on your way to the Okanagan wine country region.
- Daily direct flights to Kamloops and Kelowna through connections from cities across North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. For more information, please visit www.kamloopsairport.com or www.kelownairport.com.
- With over 20 cafés, restaurants and boutique retail shops in the pedestrian village, give yourself time to walk the cobblestone streets. Discover excellent cuisine, paintings and pottery by local artists, fun souvenirs, clothing stores, and a spa.
- With the capacity to host 7,000 guests in a single night, there’s accommodation for every taste and budget. From a hostel and nine village hotels to condos, townhomes and chalets, you can choose from a wide range of moderate to luxurious options for your home away from home.
- Local farmers, ranchers and artisans set up shop in the village centre for the Sun Peaks & Region Farmers’ Market every Sunday from 10:00am to 2:00pm. The first summer market is Sunday, June 1 and the last one is Sunday, September 9.
Easy to Get Around
- Park your vehicle at Sun Peaks and take advantage of the convenient village layout by riding your bike or walking with the kids to the Sunburst Express chairlift, hotels, restaurants and cafés, village shops, the spa, and the swimming pool.
- Travel by foot or bicycle in Sun Peaks along the paved valley trail, which winds through the entire resort. This trail is also lit in the evenings for your safety.
Activities for the Entire Family
- A destination with all tastes and preferences in mind! The kids can hit the bike park while the parents can sit on a patio with a glass of wine or play a round on the 18-hole golf course.
- Drop into the Sports Centre to splash around in the outdoor, heated swimming pool. The Centre also has a kid-sized pool, hot tub, two tennis courts, and a basketball court.
- Sun Peaks Freeride Camps are offered in the summer for kids looking to advance their skills in the Bike Park. Get coaching tips from pro riders Dylan Sherrard and Matt Miles.
- Ride the Sunburst Chairlift to 16 hiking trails surrounded by brilliant alpine wildflowers and breathtaking scenery. Hiking trails range from a 20 minute easy stroll to a more advanced hike to the top of Tod Mountain.
- Hit a nearby lake for canoe and kayak rentals, a voyageur canoe tour, fishing, swimming, or stand-up paddle boarding.